Oh my gawd. Would you look at the calendar? The last time I wrote to ya’all it was almost Fall, now it’s almost Christmas!! Where HAS the time gone.
Well, for Rick and I, the time has gone into the new building when we aren’t working or sleeping or tending to other things that seem to pop up in life. Fortunately, we have forced ourselves to take a break here and there.
We managed to break away for Thanksgiving and travel to Nichole’s to enjoy a wonderful meal and lots of lovin’ from the Grandkids. Those little ones aren’t so little anymore and they keep their folks plenty busy with sports and school activities.
Before you know it they’ll be off to college.
I think I just heard Nichole scream…
Anyways, the improvements on the building seem to be slow but I think that is because it is so big and there are so many things that have to be done, but each day when we accomplish a few tasks it just gets us closer to being done.
We are finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel in regards to getting the upstairs apartment finished. The painting has been finished (except for the closets which I will do tomorrow), flooring is 90 percent installed, new windows are in with custom framing (courtesy of Rick’s talents), and door and floor trim are installed as we get doors and floors in (I’ll give that an 80 percent completion rate).
Tons and tons of little stuff like hooking up water, installing cabinets, laying floor tile and getting the furnace running will work themselves out as we get to the finish line.
There is one room that is completely finished.
The hallway closet.
It’s a room.
I think we are also done hauling away construction debris. The last load went bye bye today. According to Rick’s estimates, we hauled over 20 tons of materials to the dump. This number would have been much higher if we hadn’t burned what we could and salvaged as much wood and other items as we did.
All that wood that we did manage to save has been reborn into trim around the windows, doors and baseboards. It was run through the surface planer, trimmed, routered and coated with polyurethane to bring out it’s natural beauty.
As of this afternoon, that gallon can of poly is gone. All of it used on wood for the upstairs.
Don’t worry, I picked up another can today.
We haven’t been devoting all of our time on the upstairs, because the downstairs has been getting a little loving too.
The main room where the coffee shop will be located looked like this when we were pulling the old ceiling down and repairing the main support beam
and here it is now, with new sheetrock and recessed lighting
Huge room, huge job, and our friend Chris is doing fantastic work!!
I’ve started up a Facebook page to keep everyone informed of the progress and get pumped up for the opening of the coffee shop next Spring.
Sometimes it’s easier to post little snippets of what’s going on when your brain isn’t working too well from exhaustion.
Or it could be from breathing fumes from the polyurethane.